We have an agreed set of policies and procedures for ensuring a safe environment for children and young people within the care of our church. These cover the ways that we act, monitor, care, recruit and show accountability. They are a guide for volunteers, paid workers and indeed the whole church community. They are one expression of our beliefs and values.
- As members of this church, we commit ourselves to the nurturing, protection and safekeeping of all, especially children and young people.
- It is the responsibility of each one of us to prevent all forms of abuse of children and young people, and to report any abuse discovered or suspected.
- We recognise that our work with children and young people is the responsibility of the whole church.
- We undertake to exercise proper care in the selection and appointment of those working with children and young people, whether paid or volunteer.
- The church is committed to supporting, resourcing and training those who work with children and young people, and to providing supervision.
The church is committed to following current legislation and government guidance and adopts the guidelines and procedures published by the Baptist Union of Great Britain in its publication Safe to Grow (revised edition).
- Each worker with children and young people must know the recommendations, and undertake to observe them. Each shall be given a copy of the church’s agreed procedures and Good Practice guidelines.
- As part of our commitment to children and young people, the church has appointed Alex Jones and Ruth Peacock to be our Designated Safeguarding Officers.
If a member/church attendee has any concern about the welfare of a child or the behaviour of an adult they should report this to one of our Designated Officers.